Reason is God's greatest gift to man.
Sons and fathers crown each other's glory with each other's fame.
The kind of man who always thinks that he is right--that his opinions and his pronouncements are the final word--when once exposed, shows nothing their.
- Show me the man who keeps his house in hand,
- He's fit for public authority.
A wise man has much to learn without a loss of dignity.
God and the government ordain just laws; the citizen who rules his life by them is worthy of acclaim. But he that presumes to set the law at naught is like a stateless person, outlawed, beyond the pale.
No other touchstone can test the heart of a man, the temper of his mind and spirit, till he be tried in the practice of authority and rule.
When I have tried and failed, I shall have failed.
Don't kill the messenger.
- For God hates utterly
- The bray of bragging tongues.
Our ship of fate, which recent storms have threatened to destroy, has come safely to harbor at last.
I have nothing but contempt for the kind of governor who is afraid, for whatever reason, to follow the course that he knows is best for the State; and as for the man who sets private friendship above the public welfare -- I have no use for him, either.
Nobody likes the man who brings bad news.
Money: There's nothing in the world so demoralizing as money.
- Numberless are the world's wonders, but none
- More wonderful than man.
Even the stout of heart shrink when they see the approach of death.
There is nothing worse than disobedience to authority. It destroys cities.
- It is a good thing
- To escape from death, but it is not great pleasure
- To bring death to a friend.
Grief teaches the steadiest minds to waver.
Be wise by instinct when you can. But when this fails, be wise by good advice.
- Love, unconquerable,
- Waster of rich men, keeper
- Of warm lights and all-night vigil
- In the soft face of a girl:
- Sea-wanderer, forest-visitor!
- Even the pure immortals cannot escape you,
- And mortal man, in his one day's dusk,
- Trembles before your glory.
Wisdom outweighs any wealth.
- There is no happiness where there is no wisdom;
- No wisdom but in submission to the gods.
Anyone thinking another man more a friend than his own country, I rate him nowhere.
Big words are always punished.
Proud men in old age learn to be wise.
The greater your arrogance, the heavier God's revenge.
For what is destined for us mortal men, there is no escape.