I guess if a man had go shuck off everything he had, inside and out, he'd manage to hide a few little sins somewhere for his discomfort. They're the last things we'll give up.
Little foxes are the little pet sins of us educated good Christians, who hope that we are above and far out of sight of stealing, lying, and those other gross evils against which we pray every Sunday, when the Ten Commandments are read. They are not generally considered of dignity enough to be fired at from the pulpit; they seem to us too trifling to be remembered in church; they are like the red spiders on plants--too small for the perception of the naked eye, and only to be known by the shrivelling and dropping of leaf after leaf that ought to be green and flourishing.
There is only one salvation for you: take yourself up, and make yourself responsible for all the sins of men. For indeed it is so, my friend, and the moment you make yourself sincerely responsible for everything and everyone, you will see at once that it is really so, that it is you who are guilty on behalf of all and for all. Whereas by shifting your own laziness and powerlessness onto others, you will end by sharing in Satan's pride and murmuring against God.
In the law of God, there is no statute of limitations.
- To create a public scandal is what's wicked;
- To sin in private is not a sin.
There ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There is just stuff people do.
They suppose that Woman's Love is Sin; in consequence all the Loves & Graces with them are Sin.
WILLIAM BLAKE, Annotations to Lavater
- If we say that we have no sin
- We deceive ourselves, and there is no truth in us.
- Why then, belike, we must sin,
- And consequently die.
- Ay, we must die an everlasting death.
- Through tatter'd clothes small vices do appear;
- Robes and furr'd gowns hide all. Plate sin with gold,
- And the strong lance of justice hurtless breaks;
- Arm it in rags, a pigmy's straw does pierce it.
- Let it profit thee to have heard,
- By terrible example, the reward
- Of disobedience.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall.
Every man must meet his own debts, and answer for his own sins.
If a thing is sinful on Sunday, it is sinful on Friday.
Sin and hypocrisy are hot jackets, as they will find who put them on.
The original sin is to limit the Is. Don't.
More Sin Quotes