Destiny waits in the hand of God, not in the hands of statesmen.
Only the fool, fixed in his folly, may think he can turn the wheel on which he turns.
- Unreal friendship may turn to real
- But real friendship, once ended, cannot be mended.
- The last temptation is the greatest treason:
- To do the right deed for the wrong reason.
- Servant of God has chance of greater sin
- And sorrow, than the man who serves a king.
A martyrdom is never the design of man; for the true martyr is he who has become the instrument of God, who has lost his will in the will of God, not lost it but found it, for he has found freedom in submission to God.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
- The church shall be open, even to our enemies.
- We are not here to triumph by fighting , by stratagem, or by resistance,
- Not to fight with beasts as men. We have fought the beast
- And have conquered. We have only to conquer
- Now, by suffering. This is the easier victory.
- For every life and every act
- Consequence of good and evil can be shown.
- And as in time results of many deeds are blended
- So good and evil in the end become confounded.
- In life there is not time to grieve long.
- O father, father
- Gone from us, lost to us,
- The church lies bereft,
- Desecrated, desolated.
- And the heathen shall build
- On the ruins
- Their world without God.
- I see it.
- I see it.
More T. S. Eliot Quotes