- The hurricane of Hell which knows no wane
- Attacks the shades and drives them in its might...
- It sweeps them here and there, now high, now low,
- And never hope consoles them of a day
- When they shall rest or feel les poignant woe.
- As cranes when flying chant their plaintive lay
- And make a line of blackness in the air,
- Of wailing shades I saw a great array
- Borne onward by the wind, they knew not where.
What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
- Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscrib'd
- In one self place; but where we are is hell,
- And where hell is, there must we ever be.
Hell is the home of honor, duty, justice, and the rest of the seven deadly virtues. All the wickedness on earth is done in their name: where else but in hell should they have their reward?
Hell is an idea first born on an undigested apple-dumpling; and since then perpetuated through the hereditary dyspepsias nurtured by Ramadans.
- Hell strives with grace for conquest in my breast.
- What shall I do to shun the snares of death?
If I can not bend Heaven, I shall move Hell.
What is hell? Hell is oneself.
Hell is alone, the other figures in it
Merely projections. There is nothing to escape from
And nothing to escape to. One is always alone.
- Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it.
- Think'st thou that I saw the face of God
- And tasted the eternal joys of heaven,
- Am not tormented with ten thousand hells
- In being deprived of everlasting bliss?
Each of us bears his own Hell.
Better to reign in hell, than serve in heav'n.
E'en hell hath its peculiar laws.
- Let none admire
- That riches grow in Hell; that soil may best
- Deserve they precious bane.
More Hell Quotes