The future was a pitch-black tunnel, ending in a locked door.
- Thou wonder world yet undefined, unform'd, neither do I define thee,
- How can I pierce the impenetrable blank of the future?
- I feel thy ominous greatness evil as well as good,
- I watch thee advancing, absorbing the present, transcending the past,
- I see thy light lighting, and thy shadow shadowing, as if the entire globe,
- But I do not undertake to define thee, hardly to comprehend thee,
- I but thee name, thee prophesy, as now,
- I merely thee ejaculate!
Time enough to think of the future when you haven't any future to think of.
The future was a matter of keeping the past at bay.
There is no smooth road into the future: but we go round, or scramble over the obstacles.
Future joys are like tropic shores: out into the immensity that lies before them they waft their native softness, a fragrant breeze that drugs the traveler into drowsiness and makes him careless of what awaits him on the horizon beyond his view.
No skill in the world, nothing human can penetrate the future.
Behind all present happiness is concealed a fear for the future.
You're always free to change your mind and choose a different future, or a different past.
The future does not much interest me. What is the future, after all, but a structure of hopes and expectations? It's residence is in the mind; it has no reality.
God alone knows where the future lies.
In a world without future, each parting of friends is a death. In a world without future, each loneliness is final. In a world without future, each laugh is the last laugh. In a world without future, beyond the present lies nothingness, and people cling to the present as if hanging from a cliff.
To know what will come is the same as to make it so.