I well know that mirror of friendship, shadow of a shade.
- The more we love our friends, the less we flatter them;
- It is by excusing nothing that pure love shows itself.
May he die with no joy at his end,
The man who won't be troubled
To unlock the keys of his heart and make a friend.
A woman can only become a man’s friend in three stages: first, she’s an agreeable acquaintance, then a mistress, and only after that a friend.
Let us learn to show friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.
If you wish to keep your friend, don't go and live with him.
I am speaking now of the highest duty we owe our friends, the noblest, the most sacred that of keeping their own nobleness, goodness, pure and incorrupt.... If we let our friend become cold and selfish and exacting without a remonstrance, we are no true lover, no true friend.
- A generous friendship no cold medium knows,
- Burns with one love, with one resentment glows.
Opposition is true Friendship.
Unreal friendship may turn to real
But real friendship, once ended, cannot be mended.
WILLIAM BLAKE, A Memorable Fancy
- When the Powers on high decree
- For a feeble child of earth
- Dire perplexity and woe,
- And his spirit doom to pass
- With tumult wild from joy to grief,
- And back again from grief to joy,
- In fearful alternation;
- They in mercy then provide,
- In the precincts of his home,
- Or upon the distant shore,
- That to him may never fail
- Ready help in hours of need,
- A tranquil, faithful friend.
One of the principal functions of a friend is to suffer (in a milder and symbolic form) the punishments that we should like, but are unable to inflict upon our enemies.
The companions of our childhood always possess a certain power over our minds which hardly any later friend can obtain. They know our infantine dispositions, which, however they may be afterwards modified, are never eradicated.
I guess I can't find lasting friends when I'm an unlasting one myself.
Long visits don't make for good friends.
More Friendship Quotes