Listen: if everyone must suffer, in order to buy eternal harmony with their suffering, pray tell me what have children got to do with it? It’s quite incomprehensible why they should have to suffer, and why they should buy harmony with their suffering.
It is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child himself.
Children are sweet as the buds in spring,
But I've noticed that those who have them
Have nothing but trouble all their lives.
- One thing's sure and nothing's surer
- The rich get richer and the poor get -- children.
- When the voices of children are heard on the green
- And laughing is heard on the hill,
- My heart is at rest within my breast
- And everything else is still.
- WILLIAM BLAKE, Nurse's Song
Gods! How the son degenerates from the sire!
When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles 'em.
I should have liked, I do confess, to have had the lightest license of a child, and yet to have been man enough to know its value.
- How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
- To have a thankless child!
In the little world in which children have their existence, whosoever brings them up, there is nothing so finely perceived and so finely felt, as injustice.
The truth is we never stop being children, terrible children covered in sores and knotty veins and tumors and age spots, but ultimately children.
Children and dogs sense the invisible.
There is no harm in a man's cub.
More Children Quotes